Recipe by Liz and Katie Button of Cúrate
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter or 1 cup whipping cream for butter
- 2 pounds local potatoes (russets or Yukon golds)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons minced local fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoons minced local fresh dill
- 1 tablespoons minced local chives
- 3/4 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- Melt butter in 10 inch nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Grate potatoes on a standard hand grater. After grating, dry the potatoes with paper towels, season them with salt and black pepper, and mix in chopped herbs. Quickly add them to the melted butter to prevent them from turning brown. (Do not rinse the shredded potatoes; water will wash away the starch which is the adhesive that holds the roesti together).
- Spread the potatoes evenly in the skillet; press with spatula to form compact cake. Cook until bottom crust is golden brown, pressing on potatoes occasionally with spatula, about 10 minutes.
- Shake skillet or use spatula to loosen roesti. Place large plate or platter over skillet and carefully invert. Slide roesti back into skillet and cook until bottom crust is golden brown, 10 minutes longer. 5 minutes before the roesti is done sprinkle top crust with shredded smoked cheddar cheese. Cover and cook until cheese melts.