Local Food in Schools
Growing Minds connects farmers, distributors, and school food leaders to ensure students have access to healthy local food. Over the years, we have developed tried-and-true resources for bringing local food into cafeterias and engaging students in making healthy eating choices. You'll find many of these resources linked below; use them to learn more about our work or to implement in your own community.
What you can do
- Interested in working to change the food environment at your school? One of the first steps is gaining an understanding of how school food works!
- Conduct a local food taste test in the cafeteria
- Highlight locally grown food served in your school cafeteria with our monthly school food menu templates
- Learn about our Get Local @ School program and request recipe cards and stickers
- Find recipes, calendars, bookmarks, stickers, and other Farm to School teaching resources
- Interested in purchasing local food and don't know where to start? Utilize our local food flow chart to find a solution that meets your needs.
- Video: How to conduct a Farm to School taste test
- Seasonal Produce Availability
- Get Local @ School cafeteria scale recipes
Rules and Regulations
- Geographic Preference Final Summary
- Geographic Preference Q&A
- USDA Geographic Preference Option
- USDA Procurement Geographic Preference Q&A