Local Food in Schools
Each month, Growing Minds staff members connect farmers, distributors, and school food leaders to ensure students have access to healthy local food. When cafeterias buy from local farms, students eat fresher, better-tasting meals. What’s more, local farmers tap into another source of income, and the school’s food dollars stay in the local economy!
Over the years, Growing Minds has developed tried-and-true resources for bringing local food into cafeterias and engaging students in making healthy eating choices. You’ll find many of these resources linked below; use them to learn more about our work or to implement in your own community.
Interested in working to change the food environment at your school? One of the first steps is gaining an understanding of how school food works!
Local Food Educational Resources
- Find recipes, calendars, bookmarks, stickers, bulletin board kits and other Farm to School teaching resources
- Learn about our Get Local program and find monthly school food menu calendar templates
- How to conduct a local food taste test in the cafeteria
- Video: Farm to School taste test
- Seasonal Produce Availability
Rules and Regulations