This simple recipe makes a fun no-heat class cooking activity. Don’t have peppers and carrots? Substitute other produce, like halved cherry tomatoes, radish slices, or baby spinach leaves. Or offer students an assortment of fresh veggies to choose from and let them design their own sandwich.
Serves 20 children
- 2-3 cucumbers, peeled and sliced
- 1-2 peppers, thinly sliced (optional)
- 1-2 carrots, thinly sliced (optional)
- 20 slices of whole wheat bread, trimmed and cut in half
- 1 8 oz. tub spreadable cream cheese or hummus
Tools for the teacher:
- Cutting board, knife, peeler, plates, and napkins
- Give each child a plate with two halves of bread spread with hummus or cream cheese, sliced cucumbers, peppers, and carrots.
- Have the children place cucumbers, peppers, and/or carrots on top of one half of the bread, then top with the other half of bread.