- 7-8 local cucumbers (cut into large chunks that each child will slice into smaller pieces)
- 2 local sweet green, red, or yellow peppers (cut into large chunks that each child will slice into smaller pieces)
- 4-5 local carrots (cut into small pieces ready for children to use)
- Small head of broccoli (broken into pieces children will cut or break into smaller pieces)
- One spinach or lettuce leaf for each child
- Large crackers or pieces of bread(one for each child and teacher)
- (2) 8 oz. spreadable cream cheese (divided evenly between the student tables and placed bowls)
- (2) 8-12 oz. hummus (divided evenly between the student tables and placed in bowls)
- Wash all vegetables.
- Choose which vegetables you would want in your dream garden.
- Using a plastic knife, cut the cucumbers and peppers into small pieces or slices. Set the vegetables aside.
- Using your fingers, tear the spinach or lettuce leaf into pieces. Break the broccoli into very small pieces.
- Using your plastic knife, spread hummus or cream cheese on top of your cracker .
- Place pieces of the pre-cut carrot, cucumber, broccoli, lettuce/spinach and/or pepper on the hummus or cream cheese. If you use more than one vegetable, make a pattern or design with the vegetables.
- Try it!
The lesson plan for this recipe includes step-by-step instructions for cooking in the classroom, different ways to connect with curriculum, and related books to read.