Mashed Potatoes and Me
- 2 pounds of potatoes (Yukon Golds are a favorite)
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- ½ stick (4 tablespoons) of butter (or margarine)
- ½ cup milk (heated)
- A sprinkle of nutmeg (optional)
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into equal-sized cubes.
- Put the potatoes in a pan, cover with cold water, and add the salt.
- Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the potatoes are tender.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Return the potatoes to pan and heat for one minute to dry.
- Turn off the heat and stir the potatoes with a wooden spoon.
- Mash with a masher.
- Add the butter (or margarine).Mash some more.
- Add the hot milk. Stir until smooth with the wooden spoon.
- Add a sprinkle of nutmeg for good luck.