Recipe by Liz and Katie Button of Cúrate
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium local onion, minced
- 2 medium local garlic cloves, minced or pressed with garlic press
- 2 pounds local ripe tomatoes, cored, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons chopped local fresh basil leaves
- Salt, pepper, and a pinch of sugar to taste
- 1 pound of pasta
- Parmesan cheese to grate on top
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil and minced onion in medium skillet over medium heat until the onion is soft and translucent, add garlic and cook until it is fragrant but not browned, about 2 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes; increase heat to medium high heat and cook until liquid given off by tomatoes evaporates and tomato pieces lose their shape to form a chunky sauce, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in basil and add salt, pepper, and a little pinch of sugar to taste.
- Meanwhile bring water to boil, salt the water, and cook until pasta is al dente.
- Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water; drain pasta and transfer back to cooking pot.
- Mix in reserved cooking water, sauce, and remaining tablespoon of oil; toss well to combine.
- Serve immediately.
Butane or electric burner
5-6 cutting boards