- 4 large local sweet potatoes
- 2 yellow onions (cut into chunks
- and placed in choppers)
- l large bunch parsley
- 4 cups flour
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups applesauce
- Wash all vegetables.
- Grate the sweet potatoes. Put the grated sweet potato into the large bowl.
- Mince the onion. Put it into the large bowl.
- Using your fingers, remove parsley leaves from the stems and rip the parsley into very small pieces. Add parsley to the potato/onion mixture.
- Carefully measure one cup of flour and add it to the large bowl. Measure and add 1/2 cup of applesauce.
- Add a dash of salt and pepper.
- Stir the ingredients with the mixing spoon.
- Shape the sweet potato mixture into small balls by squeezing a small handful of the dough in your palm. Flatten with your hands and place the “pancake” on a tray. Repeat until all of the dough has been shaped into patties.
- Put several tablespoons of oil into the saute pan over medium heat. Add the pancakes and cook until they are golden brown on each side.
- Remove pancakes from heat and place on paper towels.
The lesson plan includes step-by-step instructions for cooking this recipe in the classroom, curriculum connections, and related books to read.