Recipe by Liz and Katie Button of Cúrate
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour or whole-wheat flour
- 1 to 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom, cinnamon, or nutmeg
- 2 local eggs
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk or milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 local apples, peeled, thinly slices
- 1 cup local honey
- Variety of fresh fruit—2-3 local apples, 2-3 bananas, 1 pint berries, etc.
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl. In a second bowl, beat the eggs and add the butter, buttermilk, and vanilla. Pour the wet ingredients in the dry ingredients and stir just enough to combine. Stir in the apple slices.
- For each pancake, drop 1/4 cup batter onto a nonstick griddle or skillet and set over medium high heat. Cook, without disturbing until fine bubbles appear over the surface after a few minutes. Flip them over and cook until browned on the second side, about 1 minute. Refrain from patting them or turning them a second time - both actions will make the pancakes lose their lightness.
- Serve drizzled in local honey.
1-2 large skillet or nonstick pans
Four medium bowls
3-4 cutting boards
Paring knives, apple corer/slicer, or chopper
Small paper plates
Dish towels or paper towels