Biltmore sent us this simple and scrumptious soup recipe to use on a Growing Minds recipe card. It’s perfect for holiday cooking with kids of all ages! What’s more, it incorporates December’s Get Local @ School product, apples, and ASAP’s Get Local feature at area restaurants and markets, winter squash. Whip up a batch to warm up your family this winter season.
- 3 local apples, cored, peeled, and sliced
- 1 medium local butternut squash
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 tbs minced garlic
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Optional: 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg; 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon; dash hot sauce; splash of cream
- Cut squash in half and remove seeds and pulp. Roast in a 350 degree oven flesh side down until tender, about 45 minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and cool. After cooled, remove all meat and discard skin.
- Put carrots, celery, onions, and apple slices on a baking sheet. Brush with oil and roast until soft.
- While vegetables are roasting, bring stock to a simmer in a heavy bottomed pot and then add all roasted vegetables and spices and simmer 30 additional minutes.
- Cool and puree in a blender.