- 3 local cucumbers
- 1/3 cup vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2/3 cup coarsely chopped red onion (optional)
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (mint, dill, basil, OR cilantro)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Toss the cucumbers, vinegar, sugar, and salt together in a large bowl.
- Cover and let stand unrefrigerated for at least one hour, or up to 24 hours.
- When you are ready to serve the salad, add tomatoes, onion, fresh herb, and oil to the cucumber mixture and lightly stir.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with a sprig of mint, dill, cilantro, or basil on top.
Allow students to sample a selection of herbs and vote on which one to add to the recipe!