Herbed Baby Eggplant
- 3 pounds small Oriental-type eggplants
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/3 cup red wine vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, slivered
- Remove eggplant caps and quarter. Sprinkle with salt; let drain 30 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Spread pieces in a single layer on baking sheet, cut sides up.
- Mix garlic and oil, and drizzle over eggplants.
- Bake 30 minutes, until the eggplant is brown and tender. Cool slightly.
- Place eggplant in a large bowl and drizzle with vinegar. Add basil and toss.