Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
- 1 large eggplant
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 long loaf crusty French bread
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 lb provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 sliced mild peppers
- 1 fresh tomato, sliced
- Slice eggplant 1/4 inch thick. Brush with olive oil on both sides. Grill over low to medium heat, turning once, until golden brown on both sides, 5-7 minutes.
- Cut bread in half lengthwise. Spread pesto on cut faces of bread. Place eggplant, cheese, peppers, and optional tomato on one half of loaf. Top with other half of loaf.
- If desired, wrap loaf in foil and heat at 350 for 20 minutes. Cut crosswise into 4 sandwiches and serve.