This salsa features local summer squash, plus black beans for added protein. It could be served with whole grain tortilla chips for a snack or local food taste test, or served in tortillas or over rice for a hearty lunch.
Makes 20 2-3oz. servings
- 1 (15 oz.) can black beans, rinsed
- 3 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 green pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 medium red onion, minced
- 1 large local summer squash, peeled, seeded, and diced
- 1-2 tsp. Adobo seasoning (to make, combine 1 part each of garlic powder, coriander, salt, and cumin)
- 2 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 cup Monterray jack or cheddar cheese, grated
- Tortilla chips, tortillas, or rice for serving
- Combine the first 8 ingredients. Let sit for 30 minutes.
- Serve salsa hot or cold with tortilla chips, tortillas, or rice.
- Top with cheese.