Apple Quesadillas with Cabbage Salad recipe and lesson plan
- Whole wheat tortillas
- 16-24 oz. cheddar or monteray jack cheese (grated)
- 10 local apples
- 1 head local red cabbage
- 4 carrots (grated)
- 1 bunch cilantro
- Salt and pepper
- Wash the cabbage, apples, and carrots.
- Core and peel the apples. Cut them into smaller pieces and put all of the pieces into the medium bowl.
- Spread 1/4 cup of cheese and two or three apple slices over 1/2 of a tortilla. Fold the tortilla over the cheese in half and place it on a tray or cookie sheet.
- Put several tablespoons of butter into the saute pan or griddle over medium heat. Add the quesadillas and cook until the cheese is melted
- Remove quesadillas from heat and place back on the trays. Cut the tortillas in half after they have cooled.
- Cut the cabbage into small pieces. Put the chopped cabbage into a large bowl.
- Add the grated carrots to the large bowl with the cabbage.
- Using your fingers, remove cilantro leaves from the stems and rip the cilantro into very small pieces. Add cilantro to the cabbage mixture.
- Stir the cabbage mixture.
- Top each quesadilla with the cabbage salad.
The lesson plan includes step-by-step instructions for cooking this recipe in the classroom, curriculum connections, and related books to read.