- 3 quarts chicken or vegetable stock
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter (or margarine)
- 2 large onions, diced
- 1 large head of cabbage, quartered and chopped
- 1 pound unpeeled potatoes, cubed
- 1 pound carrots, sliced in ¼ inch rounds
- ¼ cup dried parsley
- Optional ingredients:
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) stewed tomatoes, well drained
- 3 cups fresh spinach leaves, washed and de-stemmed
- 1 bunch celery, cleaned and diced
- 1 large zucchini, cubed
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a giant soup pot, bring the stock to a boil.
- In a 12 inch frying pan, melt the butter (or margarine) and sauté the onions until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add to the soup pot, along with any butter remaining in the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients, including the optional ones of your choice, and cover the vegetables with water or additional stock.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are soft and the potatoes are cooked, about 2 hours.
- Add salt and pepper to taste before serving.
- Serve with cheddar cheese, some crusty bread, and a good story.