- 4 cups local spinach
- 6-9 bananas
- 80 fresh strawberries
- 4-8 cups yogurt
- 3 bags frozen fruit (preferably strawberries, blueberries, or peaches)
- 2-3 cups milk or juice
- Honey (optional)
- Ice (optional)
- Wash the spinach and strawberries.
- Carefully remove the green caps from the strawberries. Cut the strawberries and spinach. Add them to the large bowl.
- Peel the bananas. Using the plastic knives, cut the bananas into chunks. Place them in the large bowl with the spinach.
- Measure one cup of yogurt and add it to the large bowl.
- As a group, decide which frozen fruit to add to the smoothie. Add two cups of fruit to the large bowl.
- Take the bowl of ingredients to the teacher’s station.
- Add the ingredients to the blender with one cup juice or milk. Blend well.
- Taste it! Add honey and/or ice if needed and reblend.
The lesson plan includes step-by-step instructions for cooking this recipe in the classroom, curriculum connections, and related books to read.