- 2 bunches local Swiss chard
- 2 bags frozen strawberries
- 2 bags frozen blueberries, and/or peaches
- 6-8 bananas
- 1 large container of yogurt
- 2-4 cups apple juice or milk
- Ice (optional)
- Honey (optional)
- Wash the Swiss chard.
- Using a plastic knife or your fingers, remove the stems from the Swiss chard leaves. Cut or tear the leaves into smaller pieces. Place the leaves in a large bowl.
- Peel the bananas. Using the plastic knives, cut the bananas into chunks. Place them in the large bowl with the Swiss chard.
- Measure one cup of yogurt and add it to the large bowl.
- As a group, decide which frozen fruit to add to the smoothie. Add two cups of fruit to the large bowl.
- Take the bowl of ingredients to the teacher’s station.
- Add the ingredients to the blender with one cup juice or milk. Blend well.
- Taste it! Add honey and/or ice if needed and reblend.
The lesson plan includes step-by-step instructions for cooking this recipe in the classroom, curriculum connections, and related books to read.