Recipe by Liz and Katie Button of Cúrate
- 6 large local eggs
- 16 ounces local baby spinach
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 - 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper or dash of cayenne pepper
- Pinch table salt
- Thick-cut bacon (about 12 ounces) cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/ 2 medium red onion, chopped medium (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 small clove garlic, minced and pressed through a garlic press (about 1/2 teaspoon)
- Place eggs in medium saucepan, cover with 1 inch of water, and bring to boil over high heat.
- Remove pan from heat, cover, and let stand 10 minutes. Meanwhile, fill medium bowl with 1 quart ice water. Transfer eggs to ice water with slotted spoon; let stand 5 minutes, peel eggs, quarter them lengthwise, and set aside.
- Place spinach in large bowl.
- Stir vinegar, sugar, pepper, dry mustard and salt together in small bowl until sugar dissolves; set aside.
- Fry bacon in medium skillet over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until crisp, about 10 minutes. Using slotted spoon, transfer bacon to paper towel–lined plate. Pour bacon fat into heatproof bowl, and then return 6 tablespoons bacon fat to skillet.
- Add onion to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until slightly softened, about 3 minutes; stir in garlic until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Add vinegar mixture, then remove skillet from heat; working quickly, scrape bottom of skillet with wooden spoon to loosen browned bits.
- Pour hot dressing over spinach, add bacon, and toss gently with tongs until spinach is slightly wilted.
- Divide among individual plates, arrange egg quarters over each, and serve.
Butane or electric burner
5-6 cutting boards
Small heat-proof bowl