- 4 medium to large local potatoes
- 8 ounces local spinach
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons fresh herbs (rosemary, dill)
- 1 clove garlic (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup cheddar cheese, grated
- ¼ cup milk
- Cut the potatoes into small chunks and boil them until they are soft.
- Chop the herbs and garlic.
- Cut or tear the spinach into small pieces.
- Combine the potatoes, herbs, spinach, garlic, milk, and butter in a large pot and heat on medium for one to two minutes.
- Mash the potatoes until they are smooth.
- Add the cheese and stir.
- Add the salt and pepper to taste.
Students can make their own butter for this recipe by shaking heavy cream in a jar.